The Friday Forum - May 21

Diposkan oleh Pengetahuan dan Pengalaman on Friday, May 20, 2011

Kousa dogwoods are special. They beam in the late May/early June garden (in Zone 7). Beyond their blooming beauty, the fruit is a wildlife favorite when it ripens in the fall. Those green fruits you see in the center of the flower bracts expand into red berries that the birds and squirrels consider an annual feast. As soon as they ripen, my tree is a magnet for wildlife. I always consider providing food for animals when I select plants. Why not help wildlife while beautifying the garden?

You know I'm going to talk about the American Idol semifinals. My favorite of the final three - the one with the most mature singing voice - was sent home.

This is the first year I've watched American Idol. I started when I was homebound, but I don't think I can stand another year. The ad minutes rival the show minutes, and the filler content is often unbearable. Last night, that little trick...the results after the commercial break...beyond annoying! Do they think we sit and watch those ads? I get things done - exciting things like scooping the cat litter. Anyhow, I'll save three hours next week. I don't need to see the country music finale, especially since it seems preordained that one-note country boy Scotty will win. He sends the young girls into hysteria - and obviously endless texting to vote. The real music critics have already made clear their disdain for the voters' choices.

Watching Twitter last night was more interesting than the show. When Il Volo came on to sing "O Sole Mio," Idol "fans" started tweeting things like, "I thought this was American Idol. Who are those Italians?" Was that zenophobic? Another repeated tweet was, "I don't understand Italian." I couldn't believe what I was reading, but it was a fascinating window on the "thinking" of some segment of the show's fan/voting base - a culture with which I can't connect.

I hope my favorites all end up with recording contracts and music careers. I loved Pia, Haley, Jacob, Casey, and even Paul. I went to sleep after Idol silently singing Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets," and I awakened this morning hearing that song. Haley has staying power - hope to hear her sultry, raspy voice many times in the future! Last night, I retweeted Menox Music, a Billboard Reviewer, who tweeted, "Haley Reinhart is this season's Siobhan Magnus/Chris Daughtry/Jennifer Hudson/David Archuleta/Adam Lambert." She's a star.

I did like Lauren's leg look Wednesday night after a stylist applied a bronzing tint to her legs. It was flattering. Why didn't someone think of that earlier? I've been impressed with the makeup on the gals for weeks. Whoever is applying their eye makeup deserves some recognition. Have you been watching the makeup along with me?

Even worse than the news of Haley's elimination was the news that next week, we are going to have to wait through two hours American Idol to see the Glee season finale. I resent network tricks to drive ratings. That stunt early in the season when they made me stay up through the Super Bowl to see Glee was unacceptably manipulative. It's incredibly hard for me to stay up late when I get up at 4:30 am every morning. I was looking forward to next Tuesday with Glee. Now, it will be Wednesday, with recorded Glee. It's not the same.

Can you even believe it's time for The Friday Forum? We use the forum to share information and chat. Did you find any deals you couldn't resist this week? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By Monday, most readers have moved on.

Don't forget that I have a giveaway contest going for a KORRES Lip Collection! The deadline is tomorrow, Saturday, May 21, at midnight. Make sure to enter before then. If you don't enter, you can't win!

What did you discover this week that grabbed your eyes or made you want to sniff your arm? Is there anything you've been waiting for me to feature? I spend too much and have plenty to tell you, but I always consider suggestions.

Photo by Best Things in Beauty